Admissibility Requirements for Canada

Canada’s Electronic Travel Authority (eTA) Information

Who needs an Electronic Travel Authorization?

Citizens from countries other than the United States (U.S.) who do not need a visa to enter Canada will need to obtain an eTA before flying to Canada. Travellers do not need an eTA when entering Canada by land or sea.

Find out if you need an eTA.

How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. You will need your passport, a credit card, and email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA. It will be valid for up to five years. Apply for an eTA

To complete the online form, you need:

  • a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
    • You cannot apply using a Refugee Travel Document, Emergency Travel Document, Organization of American States (OAS) Travel Document or a UN Laissez-Passer.
    • If you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and you do not have a passport, you can apply for an eTA with:
      • a valid U.S. Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
      • a valid Permit to Re-Enter the United States (I-327)
  • a credit card
    • Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, or
    • a pre-paid Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express®,
  • and a valid email address.

You can only apply for one person at a time. For example, for a family of three people, you will need to complete and submit the form three times.

You cannot apply for an eTA if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen or a dual Canadian citizen,
  • a Canadian permanent resident, or
  • a U.S. citizen. (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air.)

Am I Inadmissible into Canada?

Determine if you are inadmissible

A Canadian Border Services officer will decide if you can enter Canada when you apply for a visa, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or when you arrive at a port of entry.

Some people are not allowed to come to Canada. They are known as “inadmissible” under Canada’s immigration law.

There are many reasons you may not be allowed into Canada, such as:

  • you are a security risk,
  • you have committed human or international rights violations,
  • you have been convicted of a crime, or you have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,
  • you have ties to organized crime,
  • you have a serious health problem,
  • you have a serious financial problem,
  • you lied in your application or in an interview,
  • you do not meet the conditions in Canada’s immigration law, or
  • one of your family members is not allowed into Canada.

*If you are inadmissible to Canada, you will not be allowed to enter. If you have a valid reason to travel to Canada, we may issue you a temporary resident permit.

If you have committed or been convicted of a crime, you have a few options.

If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada. But as of March 1, 2012, you may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without paying the C$200 processing fee. Find out more.